WOMEN OF LOVEBIRDS
05 AISHWARYA NAIR MATHEW
IN A CHAT WITH DIRECTOR OF ALIGNE STUDIO, FOUNDER OF AMAI TREATS, WINE DIRECTOR OF THE LEELA GROUP, AND CONTRIBUTING EDITOR OF VOGUE INDIA; LEELA HOTELS HEIRESS AISHWARYA NAIR MATHEW ABOUT HER ASTOUNDING ABILITY TO MULTITASK, EXTENDING HER ECLECTIC PERSONAL STYLE TO HER DESIGN LABEL, AND WHAT’S NEXT FOR THE POLYMATH.
1.You are a true polymath—a woman of diverse talents juggling many roles and responsibilities. Do you compartmentalise each of these disciplines or do you have a special ‘Nair way’ of multitasking?
Aishwarya: Thank you for acknowledging the ability to multitask, it’s sometimes pleasure and sometimes a chore! I have no special method to the madness except for pre-planning which I think works in my favour. Writing things down helps me focus and stay more organised, especially when I am on the go. I have a little Smythson’s planner which is addressed as 'Dastardly Deeds'.
2. You were born and raised in the arena of hospitality. After years of experience in the industry, what has been your biggest takeaway/wisest lesson learned?
Aishwarya: My biggest takeaway from being in the hospitality industry is to bring forth superior quality in everything I do and no less. It has been the principal factor of investing in myself and various business strategies.
3. You’ve said before that ‘Aligne’ is an extension of your personal style—practical yet trendy. How have you translated your need for functionality into your brand’s clothing?
Aishwarya: ‘Aligne’ exists to interrogate and refine the consume-create cycle of everyday life through a shared awareness and everything we design is to support a well-balanced life. The key was to create a clothing brand that one could seamlessly integrate into a busy working life, with ease from day to night.
4. You are the powerful, modern Indian woman that we as a brand seek inspiration from and aspire to dress. We want to understand your style and what fashion means to you. How do you translate your ideologies into your sartorial choices/practices?
Aishwarya: My fashion choices are perhaps eclectic in essence, but at my core, I have a very classic approach to minimal style. I like to incorporate a functional mood into my wardrobe which helps in showcasing my personality--which I believe, is rather fun and daring!
5. We understand that you're a conscious shopper that supports sustainable fashion practices. Do you think the industries of culinary arts, hospitality, and fashion stand in similar positions in the long road to complete sustainability?
Aishwarya: Absolutely! Sustainability is no longer a luxury but a necessity. To be more conscious and aware is the need of the hour. The way in which people consume whether it be in the fashion or the food industry severely impacts the quality of life we will experience and even leave for our future kin.
6. What's the next possible turn in your career? Are there plans of adding another feather to your illustrious hat?
Aishwarya: I am looking to explore new avenues of interest in my near future. The field of art inspires me and I look forward to working more closely with the industry in the future.
7. Your style advice/favourite trends of the moment.
Aishwarya: My style advice would be--wear what you feel the most confident in as it shows through your overall personality. I do not follow trends very much because I prefer for my personal style do the talking but if I were to follow a trend, it would be wearing strappy and elegant silhouettes.
AISHWARYA NAIR MATHEW IN LOVEBIRDS SS'21
IMAGES BY: SAHIL BEHAL
LOCATION: ALIGNE STUDIO, MUMBAI